Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Ou est le soleil?

Can't a girl get a little sun? My mother just called to tell me that the sun has only shined 3 times in Boston since mid-May. This was not a strictly necessary phone call as I live in Boston, but it did help me decide what to blog about, so thanks mom. I know I should not be complaining - Boston is awesome for numerous reasons, not least of which is that MIT is in Boston. But it is July for cripes sake! Everyone told me that I was lucky to be coming in June since Boston is beautiful in the summer and bitterly cold in the winter. Now everyone is telling me that this is a highly unusual summer and that it is usually quite beautiful. I hope it is a highly unusual winter because I certainly do not think I should have to put up with the awful winter weather if I am not going to get the great summer. Also, since this will likely be my only summer here (I will be on internship next year) there is really precious time left for the sun to redeem herself.

One point of defense for the sun, one of the few sunny days was actually July 4th. Many of my fellow LGO'ers and I went to the MIT sailing pavilion to watch the fireworks that are shot off from the middle of the Charles river. It did get a little chilly when it got dark but the sky was clear, perfect for fireworks. This first picture is from the pavilion of the Boston skyline across the river. The pictures of the fireworks really don't do them justice, I took them with my iPhone as my camera is in India at the moment.


















As for the lack of sun, my mom suggested I take a trip to Florida. Oh to be in Florida. Unfortunately that won't be happening for a while, my first exam of the semester is tomorrow. Who needs the sun when you have probability?

0 comments: