Monday, July 27, 2009

Speed dating

Everyone in the LGO program does a 6 month internship for a partner company. To decide who goes where, there is internship - fest, which is much like speed dating. Each partner conducts an interview with each interested student and then matching happens. The big difference is that no one goes home empty handed.


While I have never done speed dating myself, one of the funniest emails I ever received was from my cousin the day after she had speed dated. She had to take notes so that she would remember the guys and then try to match with someone at the end. An excerpt from her notes is as follows:

" Kamtrivi - Never got to ask him a question
Robert - Weirdo!
Audi - finance dude
David - doesn't care for women preachers or tongue speaking churches
Bill - army, talks out of side of mouth
John - speaks 4 languages, size of 12 year old"*

After getting this email, I have to admit to a little twinge of disappointment that I (having already found my soulmate) would never be able to experience Speed Dating. My cousin started the email by saying that speed dating was a bust, so she perhaps would not agree. But to me it seems that experiences like that are what make life interesting.

I was teaching English in China when I received this email. It made such an impression, that I actually did an entire class activity around speed dating. This was by far my student's favorite activity.

On an only marginally related note, my cousin recently went on a blind date with someone who it turned out she had already met at a speed dating event**. On a creepy scale of 1 to 10, How creepy was it that the guy knew they had already met but didn't tell her because he thought she wouldn't still want to go out (and proceeded to tell her that during the date)?

*The names have been changed to protect the innocent.
**Her notes were "Bob - boring, talks about investments, shrimpy"

1 comments:

Joe said...

Very interesting Tyeliah! I am glad you do not have to speed date!!

JOE